» How to register and insure your weather balloon in United Kingdom! «

To register your weather balloon mission in the United Kingdom (UK), two things are important: you need the ascent permit from the “Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)”, and you need insurance for launching the weather balloon in UK. We’ll explain how to obtain the ascent permit for the weather balloon in UK and where to apply for insurance for your weather balloon in United Kingdom:

How to register your weather balloon in United Kingdom!

High altitude unmanned balloon activities are defined as “unmanned free balloons”. To register your weather balloon/ unmanned free balloon in the United Kingdom, your stratosphere mission must be registered with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). The regulations for which are within the Standardised European Rules of the Air Regulation (EU) No. 923/2012 as retained (and amended in UK domestic law) under the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, also called SERA Vo. One of the requirements is that “the State from which the launch is made” must authorise all weather balloons or so called unmanned free balloons.

The CAA will need at least 28 days prior to your planned ascent You have to give various information about your mission such as start location, start time or start period and a few details about the equipment.

All this sounds very complicated, but it’s not! The good thing is that there is now a tool for registering your weather balloon or unmanned free balloon with the CAA in order to obtain your ascent permit in UK. There you need to fill in a few details: Besides your contact details, when and where you want to launch, a few details about your equipment etc.. Due to the dependence on the weather, we recommend that you choose a launch period of e.g. one week and also a launch time, e.g. from 8am to 2pm. Then you have the possibility to switch to later registered days in case of bad weather. All information about the equipment can be found under each product in our online shop. Take a few minutes to use the tool and fill out your registration with the CAA to start your unmanned free balloon in the United Kingdom.

After you submit the notification form, you will receive an automated email confirmation that the details have been received.

If you have some further question of how to register your unmanned free ballon in the UK please get in contact with:

Airspace Regulation
Safety & Airspace Regulation Group
Civil Aviation Authority
K6, CAA House, 45-59 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6TE.
E-mail: arops@caa.co.uk
Fax: 020 7453 6593

How to insure your weather balloon in the United Kingdom!

In order to apply for your weather balloon launch permit in the United Kingdom, you will need aviation liability insurance so that personal injury and property damage are covered. You can obtain weather balloon insurance in UK using the following tool: Weather Balloon Insurance from AXA.

Disclaimer: This website is constantly updated and checked. Despite all care, however, information may have changed in the meantime. The accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information published on the pages, cannot be guaranteed. Stratoflights takes no liability for the published information.