How to register and insure your weather balloon in Belgium!

To register your weather balloon mission in Belgium, two things are important: you need an ascent permit and weather balloon insurance. How to get the ascent permit for the weather balloon in Belgium and where to apply for an insurance for your weather balloon in Belgium, we explain here:

How to register your weather balloon in Belgium!

Applying for the ascent permit in Belgium is quite uncomplicated compared to other EU countries. However, sufficient lead time should also be planned here. You can apply for the ascent of your weather balloon in Belgium directly at the FOD Mobiliteit en Vervoer – Directoraat-generaal Luchtvaart. We have linked the application form here.

If you have any further questions, please contact the authorities directly. If you have detailed questions about the equipment, we will also be happy to help:

FOD Mobiliteit en Vervoer
Directoraat-generaal Luchtvaart
Dienst Airspace
Vooruitgangstraat 56
1210 Brussel
E-mail :

How to insure your weather balloon in Belgium!

To apply for your weather balloon launching permit in Belgium, you will need aviation liability insurance so that personal injury and property damage are covered. You can obtain weather balloon insurance for Belgium using the following tool: AXA weather balloon insurance.

Note/ Attention: Stratoflights expressly points out that no guarantee or liability whatsoever is assumed for all data and information available on our web pages with regard to correctness, up-to-dateness and completeness and that in any case information on the legal situation must be obtained independently from the relevant authorities.